As the year comes to a close, a closer look at the statistics of Israel’s recent wave of terror shows how horrific it has really been.
According to Israeli government statistics, since 13 September 2015, 42 people have been killed in terrorist attacks and 577 people (including 4 Palestinians) injured. There have been 166 stabbing attacks and 89 attempted stabbings; 109 shootings; 47 vehicular ramming attacks; and one bus bombing.
According to the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet), the terror wave that began in 2015 had the following number of attacks:
- September 2015 – 223 attacks
- October 2015 – 620 attacks, 483 in the form of firebombs. Eleven people (one foreign national and 10 Israelis) were killed, and 80 were injured, 37 of them moderately or more severely (one foreign national, 18 Israeli civilians, and 18 members of the security forces).
- November 2015 – 10 people (one Palestinian and 9 Israelis) were killed in terrorist attacks. Among the non-fatal casualties, 22 were wounded in stabbings (including 5 in Jerusalem and 10 within Israel), 24 in vehicle attacks, and 12 in shootings.
- December 2015 – 3 civilians were killed by stabbings.
- January 2016 – 126 terror attacks resulting in 5 Israelis being killed. In the major shooting attack on Dizengoff Street in Tel Aviv two civilians were killed as well as a taxi driver who picked up the attacker near the scene. Two Israeli civilians were killed in stabbing attacks.
- February 2016 – 107 attacks resulting in 3 Israelis being killed.
- March 2016 – terrorists killed one foreign national and injured 26.
- April 2016 – terrorist attacks caused 18 non-fatal casualties, most of which (16) were injured in an IED attack in Jerusalem on 18 April.
- May 2016 – 12 Israelis were injured in terror attacks.
- June 2016 – five Israelis were killed and 21 injured.
- July 2016 – 316 terrorist attacks; 1 person murdered and 17 injured. There were 6 stabbings or attempted stabbings, 6 shooting attacks, 1 ramming attacks, 8 pipe/roadside bombs, 231 stone-throwing incidents, 51 petrol bombs. Several attacks occurred in Jerusalem; the rest in Judea and Samaria.
- August 2016 – 414 total attacks (the increase compared to July is mostly from stone throwing): 5 stabbing (including attempts), 3 shooting, 9 pipe/roadside bombs, 339 stone-throwing; 34 petrol bombs (Molotov cocktails).
- September 2016 – 480 total attacks: 14 stabbings or attempted stabbings; 3 shootings; 1 ramming attack, 11 roadside bombs/grenades; 365 stone-throwing attacks, 63 Molotov cocktails.
- October 2016 – 410 total attacks: 6 stabbings or attempted stabbings; 10 shootings; 1 ramming attack, 10 roadside bombs/grenades; 265 stone-throwing attacks, 71 Molotov cocktails.
A recent article in Ma’an News, the Palestinian news service, takes a comprehensive look at the number of Palestinians killed in the terror wave that has plagued Israel for the last year, and even by their estimation, Israeli security forces are doing an amazing job of protecting innocent Palestinians.
According to Ma’an’s statistics, 235 Palestinians were killed in the last year. Out of this number, two Palestinians were killed in attacks by Palestinians. Two more were killed by themselves while carrying out attacks, so their deaths cannot be attributed to Israeli security.
If an attack was successful, resulting in Israeli injury or death, or if it was recorded on video, Ma’an classified it as an actual attack. Ma’an classified attacks as ‘alleged’ when there were no recordings or Israeli casualties. If Palestinian bystanders contested the official Israeli version that it was an attack, Ma’an classified this as an ‘alleged attack as well.
Their detailed list is as follows:
- 69 Palestinians killed while committing or attempting to commit stabbing attacks
- 48 Palestinians killed while allegedly attempting to commit stabbing attack
- 62 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces during clashes, police and/or army raids
- 13 Palestinians killed while committing vehicular attacks
- 8 Palestinians killed while allegedly committing vehicular attacks
- 8 Palestinians killed while committing shooting attacks
- 4 Palestinians killed while allegedly committing or attempting to commit shooting attacks
- 5 Palestinians killed while committing simultaneous shooting and stabbing attacks
- 3 Palestinians killed while committing simultaneous shooting and vehicular attacks
- 1 Palestinian killed while committing simultaneous stabbing and vehicular attack
- 2 Palestinians killed while committing attacks with incendiary or explosive devices
- 2 Palestinians killed while allegedly committing attacks with incendiary or explosive devices
- 5 Palestinians killed by airstrikes and shelling
- 5 Palestinians killed while bystanders of violence
According to this list, of the 253 Palestinians killed, five were bystanders, and five were killed in Gaza by the IDF in retaliatory strikes reacting to rocket attacks.