Jun 29, 2022
Share this article

Two separate incidents of vandalism over the weekend targeted Republican voters, striking at the very core of democracy just three weeks before the presidential election.

In the early hours of Sunday morning, a Republican campaign office in Hillsborough, North Carolina, was firebombed over the weekend, with a swastika and the words “Nazi Republicans leave town or else” spray painted on an adjacent building.

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump was quick to react.

North Carolina Republican voters replied with optimism.

Dallas Woodhouse, executive director of the state GOP, condemned the vandalism as “political terrorism”.

“Whether you are Republican, Democrat or Independent, all Americans should be outraged by this hate-filled and violent attack against our democracy. … Everyone in this country should be free to express their political viewpoints without fear for their own safety.”

“This is a horrific, horrific act of political terrorism, one that we will not succumb to and one that we will answer,” he said. “When people try to stifle freedom of speech and freedom of assembly, you must come back with more speech and aggressively defend your rights.”

North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory made a statement to the Media on Sunday.

“The firebombing of a local political headquarters in Orange County is clearly an attack on our democracy,” McCrory said. “Violence has no place in our society – but especially in our elections. … I will use every resource as governor to assist local authorities in this investigation.”

Both the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and the FBI were assisting local and state authorities.

Hillsborough Mayor Tom Stevens said, “This highly disturbing act goes far beyond vandalizing property; it willfully threatens our community’s safety … and its hateful message undermines decency, respect and integrity in civic participation.”

During a rally for Trump in Bangor , Maine on Saturday night, more than 20 cars were spray painted with white lines.

“An investigation is underway, and Bangor Police are seeking witnesses and reviewing video in order to find those responsible,” the Bangor Police Department said in a press release.