Friday night’s attack was the fourth time last week that projectiles were fired at Israel from Gaza. Rockets were also fired at Israel on Sunday, Monday and Wednesday evening. No damage or injuries were reported. Israel responded Wednesday night with an airstrike that hit two Hamas military infrastructure targets.
Salafi group Ajnad Bayt al-Maqdis claimed responsibility on Twitter for the rocket attacks. The IDF said in a statement that it holds Hamas responsible for maintaining the peace in Gaza.
A report by Amnesty International in 2015 concluded that Hamas rockets in the 2014 summer war killed more Gazans than Israelis. In 2014, over 4,500 projectiles, rockets and mortars, were fired at Gaza towards Israel. At least 197 fell short and landed inside Gaza. During the 50 day war, six Israeli civilians, including one child, were killed by rocket attacks from Gaza. In that same time, at least 13 civilians, 11 of them children, were killed by Hamas rockets in Gaza. Palestinian witnesses blamed the deadliest attack on an Israeli F-16 warplane, but the army denied that, accusing militants of misfiring their own rockets.
Amnesty International’s report said “an independent munitions expert who examined the available evidence… concluded that the projectile used in the attack was a Palestinian rocket.”
Hamas responded to the report by claiming Amnesty International was a “Zionist organization”.