The Israeli Air Force (IAF) carried out an airstrike early Thursday morning in the central Gaza Strip in response to a rocket attack earlier Wednesday evening.
According to the army, the military targeted and destroyed a Hamas weapons facility and said that the Gaza-based terror group is solely responsible for all attacks emanating from the Strip.
A rocket launched by terrorists in Gaza exploded in an open field Wednesday night. The rocket landed in the Eshkol Regional Council of the Western Negev. No damage or injuries were reported.
Local residents did not report hearing a warning siren. Security officials told the media that the missile landed near the border fence and did not pose an immediate threat to Israeli residents. Therefore, the Code Red sirens were not triggered.
It still remains unclear which terror group is directly responsible for the attack. However, Israel maintain a policy that all rocket fire from the Strip is the responsibility of Hamas, the ruling power of the Palestinian enclave.
The army noted that since the beginning of August, eight rockets had been fired from Gaza into Israel. IDF Spokesman Lt. Col. Peter Lerner said that the army would “not tolerate any attempt to undermine the security of Southern Israel. The Hamas terror organization is responsible for today’s attack against Israel.”
Since the end of the 2014 summer war between Israel and Hamas, the terror group has not directly fired rockets towards Israel. Intermittent rocket fire over the last year has been carried out by small Salafi terror groups attempting to undermine Hamas’s power in the Strip.