Last week, the IAF reportedly struck a Hezbollah weapons site in Lebanon along the border with Syria. The strike, which occurred near the city of Janta, a popular Hezbollah stronghold, destroyed missiles and missile launchers and killed four Hezbollah operatives. In retaliation for the strike, Hezbollah has vowed revenge against the “Zionist enemy.”
According to Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth, Israeli embassies were put on high alert status worldwide out of fears of a possible Hezbollah attack. Last Wednesday, the IDF put all troops stationed at the northern border with Lebanon on high alert, as well as Israeli communities near the border.
Civil defense communities near the Lebanese border were told to remain vigilant and expect action from Hezbollah militants in Lebanon. Farmers in the north were told to stay away from the border fence.
Israeli governmental officials have refused to comment on the strike, neither confirming nor denying Israel’s involvement. However, an anonymous high-ranking official confirmed to Time magazine that the IDF was indeed behind the airstrike.
On Saturday morning, two rockets of Syrian origin were fired into Israel. The rockets exploded in an open area near Mt. Hermon around 12:45 am. According to Israeli newspaper Maariv, the rockets were a small taste of retribution Hezbollah is aiming towards Israel.
Maariv’s Lebanese sources confirmed that the rocket attack was aimed at an IDF base on Mt. Hermon. The source also said that Hezbollah is readying its troops, putting them on high alert near the border with Israel.
Hezbollah’s leader, Hassan Nasrallah, reportedly has given order to key military leaders to begin readying troops for battle. According to Ibrahim al-Amin, editor of Lebanon’s al-Akhbar daily and a journalist with close ties to Hezbollah:
“In a recent speech, Hassan Nasrallah warned that Hezbollah’s readiness against the [Israeli] enemy has nothing to do with other battles. What he did not say publicly, he told his party’s military personnel in closed meetings where he called them to action, saying that the resistance may be forced to wage a battle on three fronts at the same time: in Syria, inside [Lebanon], and against the [Zionist] enemy.”
It was revealed in January that Israeli intelligence estimates that some 170,000 rockets are pointed towards Israel by Israeli enemies. With Israel on high-alert, Israel is scrambling to ensure it is ready to face any possible threat from Lebanon, Syria, and Hezbollah’s main sponsor, Iran.
In a meeting Thursday at the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee’s Subcommittee on Home Front Preparedness, it was revealed that Israel’s home front is “unprepared, period.”
MK Eli Yishai, head of the committee, said, “The current situation is infused with chaos and disagreements between the government ministries over who has responsibility for the home front in the event of an emergency.”
“We are not prepared in a way that enables us to deal with a missile attack on the home front, and the time has come to get things in order,” Yishai warned.