“Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.” Isaiah (1:18)
Snow began falling in Jerusalem today in the heaviest December storm since 1953 shutting down schools and businesses throughout Israel’s capital. Four inches (10 centimeters) are expected to cover the Holy City with more snow anticipated in the Gush Etzion region and in the north. Jerusalem has had a number of snowstorms in its recent, and not so recent, history as seen in these 8 charming photographs.
1. Old City, Temple Mount, circa 1900.
2. British soldiers at the Western Wall in 1921
3. Snowball fight on Jaffa Road, 1942
4. Australian soldiers having a snowball fight in 1942
5. Old City walls blanketed in snow by Daniel Malkiel
6. View from Maaleh Adumim porch of the Holy City
7. Sabra Snowman
8. The snow covered hills of Neve Daniel