Jun 29, 2022
Share this article

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s sister that said it’s “high time” to cut relations with South Korean authorities. Kim Yo Jong, who is also the vice director of the United Front Department of the Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) added that the next course of action against the “enemy” will come from the army reports MSN.

It is better to take a series of retaliatory measures rather than release statements condemning South Korea’s behavior, and that could be misinterpreted or dismissed, Yo Jong said to the official Korean Central News Agency on Saturday.

From left to right: Kim Yo Jong and Kim Jong-un’

“Rubbish must be thrown into dustbin,” she said. “By exercising my power authorized by the Supreme Leader, our party and the state, I gave an instruction to the arms of the department in charge of the affairs with enemy to decisively carry out the next action.”

Yo Jong’s statement came on the 20th anniversary of the first meeting between head leaders of North and South Korea. The summit, which took place in June 2000, was an iconic moment led to increased trade aw sell as joint projects. It also helped the South Korean leader win the Nobel Peace Prize.

And although the agreement is credited with cooling tensions, it was also highly criticized for providing North Korean leaders with the funds needed to build up its nuclear arsenal.

Top South Korean national security officials commenced an “urgent” briefing via video conference early on Sunday to discuss “current situations on the Korean Peninsula and possible responses,” President Moon Jae-in’s spokesman reported.

The Unification Ministry said that they are taking the development seriously and called on Pyongyang to comply with their agreements. The Defense Ministry said that it’s maintaining firm military readiness, reported Yonhap News.

The latest tensions were catalyzed by South Korean activists who sent anti-North Korean messages inside balloons across the border. The act triggered North Korea to cut off communication links established two years ago with South Korea, who it accused of allowing hostile action by failing to halt the activists.

North Korea did not answer South Korea’s calls made on the military line on Tuesday for the first time since the inter-Korean communication link was restored in 2018.