May 18, 2022

Share this article
Attempted Terror Attack Suspected in Jerusalem

Police at the scene of a gas leak at Armon HaNatziv neighborhood in Jerusalem on March 4, 2014, Police suspect that the leaks could be the result of deliberate damage. (Photo: Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)

Earlier this week, firefighters in Jerusalem discovered that gas lines leading into three residential buildings had been severed. At one of the locations, a burning candle was left inside the container that housed the gas line.

After intense investigation, Police now believe the incident was an attempted terror attack. Security services believe the gas lines were cut in attempted sabotage to cause extreme damage and mass casualties.

Israeli Fire and Rescue were able to successfully halt the flow of gas into the buildings located in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Armon Hanatziv. Residents were evacuated from their homes for several hours while gas levels were monitored and the lines were replaced. In total, the lives of over 50 people were saved by the vigilance of Israeli rescue services.


A statement by the Jerusalem District Fire and Rescue Services applauded the efforts of the firefighters.

“Jerusalem firefighters’ rapid response, which placed them at great personal risk, prevented a potentially devastating result,” the statement read.

Mordechai Naor, an evacuated resident of one of the residents, told Arutz Sheva, “I heard noise and went to the window, and saw a crowd of police officers and firefighters. I opened the window and they told me to come outside quickly, that something had happened with the gas.”

“I opened the door. The smell was terrible,” Naor recalled. “I went out, and they told me we needed to evacuate.”

Looking back on the miracle behind the incident, Naor said, “I’ve been living here for twenty years. There are a lot of Arabs who work here, and some who live here. I don’t plan to leave, but I’m praying that things stay quiet.”

The investigation has been turned over to the Shin Bet.